[CF-Devel] Issues I'de like to bring up

Tue Apr 29 01:52:52 CDT 2003

Justin Zaun wrote:

      On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 00:23, Mark Wedel wrote:

      Would it really, just an array of percentages.

  You also have to track the power of each monster, when the damage was done,
etc.  And you have to copy the relevant information aobut the monster into that
array -after all, you could be fighting 3 monsters, and kill two of them before
the third one kills you - the information of the first two (in terms of stats)
is no longer around unless that is copied.

  But this also opens a can of worms.  If I've taken damage, and then heal it,
how do we deal with it?  Presumably, the damage done a while back should go away
first.  So now you also need to record when the damage was done.

  I just don't think there is any way to sensibly do this without having just as
many problems or oddities as the current system.  So it is much simpler to try
and refine that vs implement a complicate system that probably still won't work
properly.

And as said, I don't think it should really matter what killed you/how you died.
  If anything, losing less exp from wimpier monsters will encourage players to
just be more conservative (fight wimpier monsters mean you lose less exp if you
die, and also reduces the odds of you dying).

  In some sense, the death penalty is self regulating - don't die.  If for
example the penalty for death was even more severe, you'd get people just
playing a lot more conservatively.  If the death penalty was really minor, you'd
get people dying all the time - nothing to lose, so just try things (and in some
cases, you could get strategies - I know I'm going to die, but I can get more
exp/whatever before I die to still make it worth it.

      Its hard for a non-programmer (of crossfire) to come up with a fair way

      because I don't know all the ways XP can be gained or lost.

95+% of exp probably comes from killing things.
Ways to lose exp is to get hit by drain attacks or die.

      % are always messy, but a fairer (if thats a word) way might be:

      say 20% of (current level max XP - previous level max XP) * current

      level

  Not sure if I follow what that formula is supposed to be.

      Is there a HOWTO with an example of how to add a monster, even an

      existing on, say a Hill Giant or a Dragon, new graphics an all?

doc/Developers/objects

      True, if they ignore it, but what if they never saw it?

  That's a problem.  One can only do ones best to try and make the information
available.

      well I figured a bit out about map editors, I could add the

      signs/information needed, but I think it goes beyond just that... how is

      a map determend to be "easy" "medium" "difficult"? and are those the

      word that should be used?

  I'd probbly just put a level estimate - that is more accurate.  And no more
out of 'game' than a sign saying it is for medium or high level characters.

      speaking English yes, but there should be no presumption that anyone has

      any cultural information, unless it come directly out of the game and

      not real life.

      using Monty Python phrases for a password is bad

      using what special gift Sorig gives you after praying is good.

      (protection form electricity)

  I agree with both of those points.

      This is one big way to make the game more 'global', but there are others

      too. give information in one city that is needed in another location

      that is not avalible there. Have traviling NPCs that can give out

      information. One thing that would be VERY nice is if playes could write

      their own books. the books themselves would be one of a kind, and would

      be worth pidilly when sold, but the information in them would be very

      valuble. Carying that idea further, you could make a library (like an

      apartment in that things wont disapeer, different in that its global to

      everyone in the game).

  NPC's don't travel, so that idea doesn't really work.
  Players can inscribe their own notes, so that already applies.  Players can
actually put those in various places I guess.

  Of course, the value of the book depends on who the person rights in it -
there is no way to know what the player rights is worth any data (I could just
write 'aaaaaaaaa', which contains no useful information of course).  The value
of that book, in terms of knowledge, is basically nothing.

      The bit with loads around with nothing to say has caused me to not

      bother with them any more... looking at the map editor, the interface

      for them is VERY VERY basic, might want to add a perl, php, python type

      scripting behind them.

  python scripting can be connected to them. The biggest issue is to probably
give names to npc's proper.  Thus, you can get something like 'Jeff at the
tavern has some info', and just by clicking on the different people, you can see
who Jeff is without having to start conversations with them.

      modify the current area with 2 portals from within the betting room, 1

      for safe combat, one for non-safe combat.

  That won't work - it is the floor of the arena that determines how people die
- having a different portal won't make any difference unless you have two
different arena areas with different floors.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com