[CF-Devel] Materials (was FW: DIAMONDS)

Mon Apr 28 23:25:42 CDT 2003

I have yet to see compelling argument for transmutation.  I vote
against it.  It smells like a big cheat.  Oh, can't be bothered
to find diamonds, who cares, I'll make my own out of these stones
(that aren't made out of carbon).

Alchemy at least requires that you find ingredients, but even then,
I don't like (and don't use) what I hear is the ability to turn
any pile of treasure into gold.  I think that is severely bogus.
I'd rather see people abuse the titan's tower to get rich than
to abuse the newbie tower because I can change worthless things
into more valuable items.

The cool factor for transmutation is not compelling.

It is related to the past discussion about dimension door.  Unrestricted
dimension door pretty much hoses the challenge to most any map.
Transmutation sounds like it hoses other things in a similar way.

IMO, conjuring energy is not that big of a deal (transmuting light, magnetism,
or what not to make spells we currently use).  Heck, even magic bullet isn't
bad if you consider that maybe you are taking elements (atoms/dust) from the
air and are simply condensing them to form bullets, but transmuting solid
matter from one material to totally another seems a bit of a stretch. Also,
IMO, if it is even allowed, it should be even more lossy than alchemical
formulae.  (Most of the time you vaporize the stuff away instead of getting
anything useful out of it.)  In fact, I'd think the premise of transmutation
would be atomic de/reconstruction, and I think that you should have to have
many times greater quantity of source material than end-result.  No way would
1 lb of lead give you 1lb of gold, but rather 1000 lb of lead gives you maybe
1 lb of gold.  While I vote no, in a pinch I would say make it very expensive
so if you really want to do cool things, you still have to work to do cool
stuff.  It is no fun to be able to make things just because you can't be
bothered to adventure for them.  If you have to do that, go play another
game...

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com