[CF-Devel] Materials (was FW: DIAMONDS)

Wed Apr 30 00:05:16 CDT 2003

Tim Rightnour wrote:

      On 29-Apr-03 Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:

     I have yet to see compelling argument for transmutation.  I vote

     against it.  It smells like a big cheat.

      Well.. It is worth noting.. that the folks at AD&D were smart about

      transmutation as well.  You could turn wood into metal, and vice-versa, and you

      could turn various metals into slag and tin.

      They knew better than to provide a general spell that does anything to

      anything, or a set of spells that was all encompassing.

      IIRC one use for them was that druids couldn't wear/wield metal.  So you could

      transmute metal objects into wood.  Of course.. it's been awhile, I could be

      mistaken.

  Note that live action/human moderated games have the big advantage that a
human does moderate them.

  A good GM can mitigate most any issue. The iron to gold spell?  Well, that now
gold shield sure looks like gold and acts like gold, but for some reason, when
you try to melt it down, it reverts to brass.

  And the GM can also adjust the economy - there really just aren't that many
people that will pay for gold armor.

  that said, you do raise an interesting point in the current code - the code
right now has logic for adjusting within the same material type (iron -> brass
for example), but nothing for going between radically different materials (iron
-> wood).

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com