[CF-Devel] Materials (was FW: DIAMONDS)

Wed Apr 30 03:10:04 CDT 2003

On 30-Apr-03 Mark Wedel wrote:

        Note that live action/human moderated games have the big advantage that a

      human does moderate them.

Well..  Mostly my point was.. the people at TSR were smart enough to know if
you let people change bronze -> gold, you'd have a mess on your hands.  Such a
spell/ability/whatever is absurd. But is there anything wrong with changing
iron to bronze?  I think transmutation is a fine thing, it's just that you have
to be selective about what you let people transmute something into.
Platinum->gold seems fine to me.. lead->gold seems absurd.  If we do it.. we
have to think about the results of each transmutation, thats all.

A fine thing IMHO would be to have a druid class that could only wear
wood/hide.  Such a class might benefit from turning rings/amulets into wood.
Just an example of course..

        that said, you do raise an interesting point in the current code - the code

      right now has logic for adjusting within the same material type (iron ->

      brass

      for example), but nothing for going between radically different materials

      (iron

      -> wood).

I think it would be trivial to implement.  All you need is a little chart with
some base values.  Say we take iron as the "base" material..  we say iron has a
value and weight of 100.  Now we just set "pine" to say, 80, 80.  Now if you
wanted to transmute mithril->oak you do:
mithril->iron->pine->oak.

Easier that way as we only have to have one set of transmutation values between
types.. and we don't have to caluclate iron->oak, iron->spruce, iron->balsa.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net

NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS