[CF-Devel] More Lore

Wed Apr 30 09:48:28 CDT 2003

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      [...] I am primarily concerned with establishing a good and useful

      repository of lore. How this is used in the game is of interest at

      the moment only in that it is properly supported by the data format.

      [...]

I agree with the proposals concerning lore from you and from Mark.

      [...]

      I did suggest a lore field in the map header but this

      was not well regarded at first [...]

I recommend to put map lore into the map header.
This makes it clear where the data is, and appears much easier
"to handle". When I think about supporting it in the JavaEditor
for example, if the lore was stored in objects, I'd need to
implement a fairly big and complicated logic to generate and
manage these very special objects. That seems wrong to me
because the map header is the perfect place to store any amount
of "special data" easily.

The other thing with (map)lore objects is that future developers
will be tempted to start using the object/attribute datafields
of the maplore *object* (For example using "level" or "other_arch"
to store some information). This kind of functionality is then not
available for lore in arches, so the system gets incompatible.
In the map header, the lore data is limited to the space between
"lore ... endlore", which is exactly how it works in the arches.

Mark has proposed the following:

maplore
lore thurgond
@chance 5
@chance 8
endlor
lore scorn
@chance 12
@chance 3
endlor
endmaplore

I just wanted to ask: Is it really neccessary to have
more then one lore field in the map header?
Wouldn't it be easier to add the keywords per lore entry
(like "@chance 5, scorn") rather than creating kind of
different sections?
Assuming that map lore contains information only related
to that one particular map, it seems like one single
keyword could do for the entire maplore block anyways.

However, I'm just making suggestions here. I don't
mind if you do it different, as long as the maplore
is in the map header. ;-)

AndreasV

--
+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more