[CF List] Crossfire Polls

crossfire-list-admin at archives.real-time.com crossfire-list-admin at archives.real-time.com
Sat Apr 19 11:10:39 CDT 2003

        Most polls should be taken with a grain of salt - especially those that

     don't

      have a none of the above type of answer (in which case people may still

     vote for

      something, like removing the swashbuckler, just because they have to vote

     for

      something.

certainly and doubly so for polls with such a low number of participants
(20-40 people is pretty small poll).
I just wanted to send up the results for interest.  Now one thing I saw that
was really interesting was the web work done on Mids server where there
seems to be a lot of logging happening (player race/classes picked, killed
by statistics, most used maps...)  I always liked the feedback (and polls)
on the old Mids server and am glad to see it continuing and improved.
Feedback is good.

        The reason some classses/races probably are popular vote getters for

     removal

      is because they aren't all that interesting.

        while theif may be one of the main 'areas' in traditional RPG's, it

     probably

      loses out in crossfire because it doesn't have any really great skills

     that make

      it more playable in some games.

for sure.  As with all statistics it is important to undertstand what the
message really is.  I think that is the messge I was trying to get across.
There is a good reason that warriors and wizards are the top picks - this is
where the rewards are and how the game plays...

        Mostrai as a god?  Probably because it has the best low level enemies,

     and

      thus one of the best ways to get exp.

Most likely, as in real life players have shown that they will find and
exploit any imbalance - in fact the questions should have probably been 'In
you opinion, which is the most interesting or best Cult'.  Not that this
fact is unimportant - it may point to the fact that a overwhelmingly popular
cult may need to be adjusted...

        animations:  Would be really hard to provide a list of animations the

     player

      could choose from.  Even easier now in that the players use the same

     animation

      logic as everything else, so you could even include non players (eg,

     pirate

      lass, etc).  But there should probably be some limits - in some cases,

     like

      dragons, the race is the major factor.  But for humanoid type races, there

     could

      be a large choice of images.

Oh yes, I am personally against having say gnome players choose a huge
barbarian animation type of thing, and would prefer to use race specific
animations (a gnome is a gnome is a gnome!), but it seems I am in the
minority here.  I am currently working on animating the player faces so once
I get the basics done (still lots of 'classic' animations to do here) it is
likely I will start adding a few filler animations like halflings in heavy
armor or gnome wizards.  It shouldn't be too hard to make face changing
booths or whatever.  I am esthetically against using just any old animation
for a player face - they should all be four direction at least...  I would
like to add an option in the hall of selection however where you can pick no
class but get a wack of money and entrance to a little shop to buy a few
skills or other useful items.  This might be a backdoor way to encourage
people to use the racial player animations...

     crossfire-list at lists.real-time.com