[CF-Devel] Stats adjudication

Fri Aug 1 01:44:28 CDT 2003

  I agree that the idea of fractional stats is distasteful.

  If anything, I'd rather approximate that via random values.  Eg, there is a 5%
(or whatever) chance that the potion works and increases your stat.
Alternatively, have some mechanism to merge/use multiple potions at once.  Eg,
to increase a stat that is above 20, you need a 'Greater XXX potion', which can
be made with 10 (or whatever) normal potions.

  I could see the reason to just not make all the bonuses to mimic larger gaps -
the reason being you would get the odd case where as the stats get higher, the
gap to actually get any meaningful benefit is larger.  That just seems a bit odd.

  I'd note that if the stats were extended to say 50, but instead the bonuses
stretched out (so the bonus you get at 30 now you'd get with 50 in the new
system).  This would actually weaken things a bit for players at perhaps the
more middle levels.

  I'm also not sure if I like the idea of it being harder to raise really low
stats - that just seems odd.  I see the idea you are trying to do - if you make
a stat really low, it is harder to raise.  But it should be that really low
stats are a disadvantage.

  One reason I'd also be in favor of making the max stat higher is that with
some class/race combinations, if you focus your stat making, you can get a stat
in the mid 20's.  I think it'd be more interesting if there was more room to
grow max stats.

  One could also do something a little different with races- have bonus bonus
adjustments to the character, and have the maximum be something different.  Eg,
you could get a +2 str and +2 dex (thus, being able to start at say 22 instead
of 20).  But instead of the max still being 22, it could be 32 or something like
that, so there is always room to grow with the stat potions.

  As far as charisma:  Bargaining does not neutralize a low charisma.
Bargaining basically increases your charisma, for purposes of buying/selling
objects, by a few points.  So a character with a 20 charisma still gets a
benefit from bargaining.

  Charisma is used for some other aspects - I think the personality skills do
use it, so if you want to sing, pacify, etc, charisma adjusts your chances.  But
those are skills that one does not actually need to use.  Also, by the time you
start picking up the misc skills jsut for the heck of it, you are more likely to
be finding stat potions to bring up your charisma to respectable level anyways.

  One thought might be to make improving a stat harder based on what the stat
started at.  For example, if you start with a 15 strength, it now gets harder to
improve at 25 (15 + 10).  If you start with a 1 power, it is now harder to
improve starting at 11 (1 + 11).  Thus, tossing low values into a stat has
larger term ramifications.  Most fighters might not want spell casting at first
level, but at some point they probably want to pick some up.  But if they put
really low stats into pow, int, and wis, it would become difficult for them to
get good at it.

One could limit pets or other such things based on charisma.  NPC's not talking
to players with low charisma/appearance is also possible.  There is certainly
more that could be done here.  I do remember one game (fallout 2) I played where
npc's gave different amount of information based on charisma or something.

  However, this is really only effective in crossfire if the information is
somehow made more dynamic - having an NPC give a password only if charisma is >
15 doesn't do a whole bunch if this is a well known password or other players
all know it (or you know it from playing the game before).

  Also, just to avoid the problem of a low charisma character being messed up
for the rest of his life, one could also do something like have level adjust
charisma (effectively).  So maybe someone would need a combined 'fame' score of
100 to get the piece of information.  Fame would be based on charisma, level, as
well as perhaps other things (doing quests could increase fame).  And arguable
fame should be what is used to determine how much shops give you.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com