[CF-Devel] Stats adjudication

Fri Aug 1 02:12:46 CDT 2003

       I do like the idea of twiddling the amount or type of

      magic/potions you need to raise stats as you approach the ends of the

      distribution curve (some loose idea like one potion per standard

     deviation).

      Actually if it is harder to raise really high *and* really low stats this

      partly addresses the issue of players plundering less useful stat values

      into really low ranges to get more points in their prime stats since it

      becomes much harder to recover from this behaviour.

I thought I should elaborate on what I mean here since had to figure it out
myself...I am being really loose with the term standard deviation I think -
but then I haven't been in stats class for many years...
Say that the average stat is 10, the normal maximum is 20 and the *absolute*
player maximum is 50 and we arbitrairily say 4 is the 'standard deviation'.
The range from 7-13 is one 'SD' and would require 1 'point' (a single point
potion, scroll, spell) to raise one point.  Scores of 3-6 or 14-17 would
require 2pts, scores 1-2 (minimum) or 18-21 would require 3pts to raise,
scores 22-25 would require 4pts, 26-29 - 5pts continuing up to 50 where we
top out at 11 pts per point raised (no reason to stop except because we want
to...).  Of course high level spells and stuff can be worth multiple points
to address the higher requireements a 15th level strength scroll would be
worth say 15pts towards that stat?  Anyway, that's my thought.  The actual
numbers are rather arbitrary to fit my illustration and keep things simple
enough to manage easily.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com