[CF-Devel] gimp and java editor

Sun Aug 3 12:56:25 CDT 2003

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      When using Gimp (with gnome2 anyway) there are previews

      files created in each directory you have worked on images

      called .xvpics. That's all fine and good (although it seems

      to represent an annoying trend) but my problem is that these

      previews seem to interfere with the CFJavaEditor (using

      Java 1.4jre - blackdown on Debian and Sun's on redhat).

      If there is a picture with one of these previews in the arch

      folder I am using to feed the CFJavaEditor(I always open it and

      have it do a fresh collect), that image will not show up with

      the associated arch.  Just an empty image as if there is no

      image file.  I have to make sure I delete all the .xvpic folders

      all the time - very annoying.  It seems strange this happens,

      anyone care to venture why it does?

There are two things:
First, the JavaEditor doesn't like dots '.' in the file path
because it gets confused with the naming conventions
(you know, these ".base.111" endig rule thingies).
This might happen with the ".xvpic" directories.

Second, the editor traverses directories recursively, and when
there are two instances of the same image file, only one of them
stays in the end. If the backup files have the same name as
the original, they might actually replace it.

What I can do is make the editor ignore all directories
starting with a dot character. I guess that would
make sense anyways and most likely fix your problem.

AndreasV

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com