[CF-Devel] Ideas for interplayer competition

Mon Aug 4 05:53:33 CDT 2003

Le Lundi 04 Août 2003 08:47, Tim Rightnour a écrit :

      On 03-Aug-03 tchize wrote:

      [appearance]

      > Looks to me like charism, but more specific to top models immitating.

      > Quiet interresting, but are players interrested in standing at the top 10

      > glamour characters?

      Charisma is one of those stats that is supposed to reflect your personality

      more than your physical appearance.  IMO, charisma doesn't make sense in a

      computer RPG, as the role playing aspect is toned out alot, your charisma

      is really how you act in general.  As for player interest.. we will see.

      Usually players find an interest in being #1 at something, it's more a

      competitive aspect.  Something fun to fiddle with on the side when you

      don't feel like adventuring.

      >> 2)  New stat: "Fame".  Fame will be another open-ended stat, where

      >> players

      > Interresting too but this would mean modifying some quest to update those

      > stats.

      >  I don't think fame should be used in shops or perhaps not in the way you

      > may think. For myself, when i see someone famous coming in my shops, with

      > cameras nearby, i will be glad to increase prices by 500% or 2000% since,

      > this is the kind of guy having money and who wouldn't refuse to pay in

      > front of cameras.

      Its a plausible result.  The other possibility is he is just glad to have

      the famous guy "endorsing" his store.  Or we could just not take it into

      account. Another thing I was thinking was to have fame be a signed int, so

      you could become infamous with a negative fame.

      > No, i don't think. As i see your thing, fame and appeareance is only a

      > 'per player basis' (may be a monthly vote for mister & miss crossfire?).

      > This shouldn't remove cha, since cha, in my mind, is not only fame and

      > appearence, but also some kind of aura around you. Someone ugly, mentally

      > deficient can have good cha, thought he couldn't acheive quest or find

      > beautifull clothes. Simply, people around him are showing pity, or like

      > him for his stupidness. CHA is more than fame of appeareance i think.

      I was kind of thinking that the combination of fame and appearance could

      replace Cha.

I really think CHA should be kept untouched. Dunno what others thinks about
it.

      > One last thing, if you implement this, could you do this in an optionnal

      > way, in a plugin? So this is easy to choose if you want them or not.

      > Plugins were needed, in the begining to add optionnal things to server or

      > to change, on a test basis, server behaviour without interfering with CVS

      > mainstream.

      I'm not sure how exactly I'm supposed to make a "plugin" for this.  I'm

      certainly not going to write it in Python.  It could conceivably be

      compiled out.. but at some point.. thats going to cause trouble if we ever

      want it to show up in the client as a stat.  This change is fairly non

      invasive, and really won't affect things around it, or even gameplay until

      we make it actually do so.

I did no say to script it, but to plugin it, as a plugin you have access to
all objects structure like in main crossfire code. you have acces to most
crossfire function using the hooks availables and you have to ability to
create new client-server command or override existing ones. And it's simply C
code. There is in the plugin directorie a sample *do nothing* script which
have the complete interface of plugin. This just make things a lot easier to
rip away if not interresting or if simply not yet stable enough. Plugins were
designed to prevent having beta code to be surrounded by #ifdef in
conditionnal code. This does not make things more difficullt to code. In fact
this make code a bit clearer. You may want to take a look at the code of
plugin animator, it was used to take control of any character and make it
follow an animation movments written in an external file.

Please give a try to the plugins.

      ---

      Tim Rightnour <

      root at garbled.net