[CF-Devel] Ideas for interplayer competition

Mon Aug 4 01:47:19 CDT 2003

On 03-Aug-03 tchize wrote:
[appearance]

      Looks to me like charism, but more specific to top models immitating. Quiet

      interresting, but are players interrested in standing at the top 10 glamour

      characters?

Charisma is one of those stats that is supposed to reflect your personality
more than your physical appearance.  IMO, charisma doesn't make sense in a
computer RPG, as the role playing aspect is toned out alot, your charisma is
really how you act in general.  As for player interest.. we will see.  Usually
players find an interest in being #1 at something, it's more a competitive
aspect.  Something fun to fiddle with on the side when you don't feel like
adventuring.

      2)  New stat: "Fame".  Fame will be another open-ended stat, where players

      Interresting too but this would mean modifying some quest to update those

      stats.

       I don't think fame should be used in shops or perhaps not in the way you may

      think. For myself, when i see someone famous coming in my shops, with cameras

      nearby, i will be glad to increase prices by 500% or 2000% since, this is the

      kind of guy having money and who wouldn't refuse to pay in front of cameras.

Its a plausible result.  The other possibility is he is just glad to have the
famous guy "endorsing" his store.  Or we could just not take it into account.
Another thing I was thinking was to have fame be a signed int, so you could
become infamous with a negative fame.

      No, i don't think. As i see your thing, fame and appeareance is only a 'per

      player basis' (may be a monthly vote for mister & miss crossfire?). This

      shouldn't remove cha, since cha, in my mind, is not only fame and appearence,

      but also some kind of aura around you. Someone ugly, mentally deficient can

      have good cha, thought he couldn't acheive quest or find beautifull clothes.

      Simply, people around him are showing pity, or like him for his stupidness.

      CHA is more than fame of appeareance i think.

I was kind of thinking that the combination of fame and appearance could
replace Cha.

      One last thing, if you implement this, could you do this in an optionnal way,

      in a plugin? So this is easy to choose if you want them or not. Plugins were

      needed, in the begining to add optionnal things to server or to change, on a

      test basis, server behaviour without interfering with CVS mainstream.

I'm not sure how exactly I'm supposed to make a "plugin" for this.  I'm
certainly not going to write it in Python.  It could conceivably be compiled
out.. but at some point.. thats going to cause trouble if we ever want it to
show up in the client as a stat.  This change is fairly non invasive, and
really won't affect things around it, or even gameplay until we make it
actually do so.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net