[CF-Devel] Ideas for interplayer competition

Tue Aug 5 01:41:03 CDT 2003

Tim Rightnour wrote:

      Som ideas I've had for a little interplayer competition.  Consider this a

      proposal, and something I am likely to do unless people blaspheme about it.

      1)  New stat: "Appearance".  This stat will reflect your physical appearance.

      The stat will probably be rolled at player creation, to be between 1 and 20.

      The stat will max out at about 1000, but with no set limit.  Appearance can be

      modified by wearing different types of items, in different combinations.  Most

      likely the programming for this will consist of a complex set of conditions,

      that give scores to certain combinations of equipment.  A specific list of

      "what is best" will not be drawn up, rather, the engine will be set in place,

      and tuned to the point where it is self sustaining, and somewhat unpredictable.

      The basic rules will be that accenting materials, or matching materials can

      give a bonus, item value will play a role, things like Chr bonuses, etc.  The

      score can be used to determine how shopkeepers react to the player, and for a

      top 10 list, players can compete on.

  I'm a little wary of this.

  Presumably appearance would be highly variable then.  I can put on my pretty
gear and have potentially a pretty high appearance, but when I go back to my
adventuring gear, appearance would go down quite a bit.

  I personally don't really see much point of this as an actual stat.  If you
want to do this, no big deal, but I think it might be 'better' to do this as a
special building in scorn, eg, show place or whatever.  Then, when a player gets
all prettied up and goes down the runway or whatever, the appearance is
calculated at that point, and recorded.

  One could potentially make this more interesting by doing something like have
entrance fees, prizes (based on number of people that entered), etc.  To make it
so the same person doesn't win, if you want to collect a prize, you need to
leave behind the items you wore for the runway (museum wants them for posterity).

  Something less than that could be done.  But by having it calculated only at
certain times, it still has the purpose you stated (competition), but I think
would be simpler and more sane.  How one looks like in their apartment really
shouldn't matter, because after all, no one is seeing them.

      2)  New stat: "Fame".  Fame will be another open-ended stat, where players can

      accumulate points in it.  Things such as becoming a noble of scorn, solving

      certain quests, level, time spent online, etc etc can all contribute to your

      fame score.  Initially, your fame will primarily be a competive stat, with a

      top 10 board.  But eventually it could be used in shops, and in things like

      gaining followers, etc.  (maybe you need to be famous to start your own guild)

  'Reputation' might be a better name.  Could be very famous people no one
likes.  Reputation would suggest that people like you, and thus discounts in
shops, more NPC information (if such an idea is coded), could all be adjusted by
this.  It would otherwise have most of the same things.  I'm not sure if it
makes any sense tieing it to time spent on line - that actually seems pretty
pointless.  Ok, I go to bed for the night, but leave my character in his
apartment atop a huge pile of food (plus, make sure he has the sustenance ring
on).  What does that really prove, other than I have a connectin I can leave on
all the time.

  Arguably, reputation could go down based on time spent on line.  A famous
person that hasn't done anything recently could start to be forgotten.  Thus, if
you want to keep your reputation up, you have to keep doing things.

  But it should also be relative.  If you say reputation ranges from 1 to 1000,
with normal being 100, if your reputation is 1, doing anything would give you
quite a bump.  But if your reputation is 900, doing some trivial quest that
would normally give you a reputation bump probably won't do much.  Eg, people
don't care that much if that really famous person clears out the sewers of
scorn.  Kill all the dragons, people might care about that.

      3)  Score stat.  Unlike the current system, where score is your exp, a new

      score stat will be developed.  You gain score points by doing specific things.

      For example, killing a monster, 1 pt.  Solving a quest, 100-5000 points.

      gaining a level, level*100 points, killing a player accidentally, -500 points,

      killing yourself accidentally, -50 points..  Perhaps even re-entering the

      hall-of-selection to start your character over, gives you a big bonus if you do

      so above level 108.  In this way, score can be a meaninful representation of

      your accomplishments in the game, and the top10 scoreboard will show something

      other than 10 people who are currently at max exp.  Players can continue to

      accumulate a score even when reaching the topmost level.

  I have no real problem with score.  I don't see much point.  If we're going to
add score bonus, probably just as well we should add exp bonus (a feature sorely
lacking in quests - some quests have some items at the end, but most RPG's give
a significant exp reward for completing quests).

  Of course, this could get bundled in with #2 above.  Add an object that gives
exp/score/reputation bonuses (not necessarily the same values for all of them,
but some object with the potential to add such values).

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com