[CF-Devel] Ideas for interplayer competition

Tue Aug 5 02:03:49 CDT 2003

On 05-Aug-03 Mark Wedel wrote:

        I'm a little wary of this.

        Presumably appearance would be highly variable then.  I can put on my

      pretty

      gear and have potentially a pretty high appearance, but when I go back to my

      adventuring gear, appearance would go down quite a bit.

        One could potentially make this more interesting by doing something like

      have

      entrance fees, prizes (based on number of people that entered), etc.  To make

      it

      so the same person doesn't win, if you want to collect a prize, you need to

      leave behind the items you wore for the runway (museum wants them for

      posterity).

That was basically what I wanted it to be.  You would get all dressed up, walk
up to the scoreboard or runway or whatever, and you would "register".  It would
then take your current appearance score, and put you on the list.

As a stat.. it's functionality would differ slightly.  The appearance stat will
allways be your current appearance.  If you take of all your pretty gold robes,
and put on the crap, then your appearance goes down.  With whatever effect we
might make that incur.  (perhaps nothing for now)

The idea of the board was just a competive stat.  Not that the player would
register that he looked good once, and then get the effects of having that
appearance all day long.

The only problem with prizes is, when do you give them out?  At what point
during the game does the game decide "he wins"?

      2)  New stat: "Fame".  Fame will be another open-ended stat, where players

        'Reputation' might be a better name.  Could be very famous people no one

      likes.  Reputation would suggest that people like you, and thus discounts in

      shops, more NPC information (if such an idea is coded), could all be adjusted

      by

      this.  It would otherwise have most of the same things.  I'm not sure if it

      makes any sense tieing it to time spent on line - that actually seems pretty

      pointless.  Ok, I go to bed for the night, but leave my character in his

      apartment atop a huge pile of food (plus, make sure he has the sustenance

      ring

      on).  What does that really prove, other than I have a connectin I can leave

      on

      all the time.

Was just brainstorming really..

        But it should also be relative.  If you say reputation ranges from 1 to

      1000,

      with normal being 100, if your reputation is 1, doing anything would give you

      quite a bump.  But if your reputation is 900, doing some trivial quest that

      would normally give you a reputation bump probably won't do much.  Eg, people

      don't care that much if that really famous person clears out the sewers of

      scorn.  Kill all the dragons, people might care about that.

Thats an interesting idea..  As I said in another post.. I was considering
making it signed.. so you could become infamous.  I think the conditions for
gaining fame can be tweaked as we go.  I'm wary of having it mimic score too
closely.

It's not unreasonable to make fame decay towards zero.  I kind of like that
actually.

      3)  Score stat.  Unlike the current system, where score is your exp, a new

        I have no real problem with score.  I don't see much point.  If we're going

      add score bonus, probably just as well we should add exp bonus (a feature

      sorely

      lacking in quests - some quests have some items at the end, but most RPG's

      give

      a significant exp reward for completing quests).

        Of course, this could get bundled in with #2 above.  Add an object that

      gives

      exp/score/reputation bonuses (not necessarily the same values for all of

      them,

      but some object with the potential to add such values).

I agree.. quests should dole out exp.  I think my point with score is just that
its a competitve stat.  Some people like having something that they can point
at and say they are the best.  Others find a reason to play in it, as it gives
them a goal "have to get a better score than bob".

IMHO, it's a simple enough feature to add, won't cause any real effects in the
game, and a few people might like it.  I mean.. look at the way people compete
in nethack for high scores.. or pacman for that matter.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net

NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS