[CF-Devel] Proposal: jobs

Wed Aug 6 01:26:35 CDT 2003

  The new skill code will remove the tie between overall exp and that of the skills.

  However, a few suggestions:

Use a character string to track uniqueness of jobs (slaying field or the like).
  I'm presuming your putting a force object in the player to track that they
have completed the job?

  There is certainly no reason that you can't have a numeric selection method,
but have some other tag to denote the jobs the player has done.

  This is probably better just in the long run.  For example, you may want to
list the jobs by difficulty - if someone comes up with a new job, and pushes the
existing jobs down a slot, you don't want everything screwed up.

  I can understand only allowing the player to take one job at a time.  But why
block it off to other players?  Given the nature of the game, that doesn't make
a lot of sense to me.  And I don't see any technical reason for that.

  As an aside, the new skill stuff should allow one to specify which particular
skill the exp would go to.  This could prove to be more interesting - skills
that are difficult/impossible to normally gain exp for could have exp rewards in
these jobs or quests.

  I'd think some form of better user interface is required - requiring players
to type odd ball commands doesn't seem that realistic.

  A more simplistic approach would be when applying the job board, it lists the
current jobs, lists if you have any jobs, and then asks for what job you accept
(if you have a current job, accepting another job means you give up your current
one).  Have some options for something like 'give up current job' as well as
'don't accept any of the existing jobs'.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com