[CF-Devel] multistage map

Fri Aug 8 05:00:08 CDT 2003

Le Vendredi 08 Août 2003 08:12, Mark Wedel a écrit :

      tchize wrote:

      > Still need to code the fact a player can fall from the roof if not

      > flying.

        Right, likewise if someone throws an object on the roof, it should end up

      on the lowest layer.

right i think if *no floor* drop on below map with gravity damage
(player/monster), could be a good way to do

        But you're sure to get other issues, eg, in your example, the player on

      the roof wants to fire down on the player on the ground (bow, spell,

      whatever).

That's a problem indeed. For now, rules apply to maps in a separate way. I
need to prepare a list of what world interaction should cross the stage
boundaries (typically a burning hands is horizontal, no stages crossing, but
a magic missile shoud be able to target a monster down stairs.

      > With this system we could create a bridge crossing another road. Players

      > on the brige can easily cross people below since, technically, for the

      > server the 'roof' and the ground are 2 different map (they just stack at

      > visible part). Am convinced all this could give a bit of reality or even

      > help create real 3D maze in maps quest since you will see exist but need

      > to get up to reach :)

        But I'd guess to do a maze with under/over crossings, you'd basically

      need to maps, with exits all over the place leading to each other.

      Certainly better than what you have now, but still not really simple to do.

Still no as simple, right. But i could perhaps create a type of exit which is
typically a ladder. You apply this and your reach the level top or bottom.
Still need to think about it. So no need to link, the server will
automagically brings you upstairs.

        I'd be a bit curious on the implementation - is it simply a 'if no

      objects on this map, look at the map below', or is it more clever with

      respect to looking at the actual objects on the top layer to see if any are

      the floor, then the map below, etc?

Visually speaking, it's more clever than no object = transparent
When the code when to collect the 3 visible faces for the top map, it use, as
starting point, the bottom, middle, top info from map below at same position
(i forgot to tell in implementation, each stage map must be same size).
I there was a top but no middle (typically a floor and only one object), the
top reach the middle level (a tree in top map must draw itself above a
monster in bottom map). Then the classical code is used to calculate the
faces, so only difference is we don't start faces calculation with NULL
objects in top middle and bottom, but with info from below map.

Still need to do some fixing, since a middle object found in upper map should
also draw itself over the middle object of bottom map.

In the screenshoots is send, the high wall you see left is drawn as part of
upper map, while we still see the floor of lower map and even (cause am bad
drawer) the cutted walls from bottom map

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com