[CF-Devel] multistage map

Fri Aug 8 21:59:37 CDT 2003

      > >GFXer to draw the cuttable wall.

      > I get the hint - shut up and draw me some pictures...

      never said that, just said my picture didn't show up everything cause my lack

      of skills.

I grew up without emoticons...  I believe that I missed putting the :P
or whatever.

      > Anyway I get the idea that the best way to do this would be using wall

      > graphics that are taller than 32px would make this easier since single

      > level walls would show the wall top while stacked walls would truncate the

      > tops and continue on up.

      That's the idea and that's what i tried to make (the right part of screenshot

      i supposed to be trucated wall). However couldn't achieved doing it

      correctly.

      I'll take a look at how other games handles it....

      >As a bonus you would have a little 3d effect when

      > standing behind a wall (it would cover your knees sort of thing).

      Difficult, since player and monsters are supposed to be drawn on top

I have lobbied in the recent past to have an agreement that the extra
height of an object overlap objects in the tile above it if the arch
specifies it (what just paint these last or something?)  Like an object
with a graphic that is 32x42 would overlap the tile above by 10 px.  I
actually though this was going to happen somehow in the client with the
smoothing code.  I think it is even more important to do this with the
changes you are talking about here.

      > the meantime what about object height?  Will a demon lord's head be 5

      > floors up?  This change you propose is a larger change than some might

      > suspect I suspect - and waht about if you drop onto some floor type that

      > currently blocked - like water?  You do need to consider blocking while you

      > are at it you know...  lots of smoke and mirrors to work out.

      Yeah was considering blocked problem too.

I think it is agreed (talking to the upper management) that a bitmask
like material is needed that indicates what objects can pass through the
arch - like walking = 1, flying = 2, swiming = 8...  I think that the
can_pass_thru flag maybe should be recycled for this.  I was playing
aroung with leaving the blocking code alone but put in an additional
check for this 'can_pass' field in get_map_flags(but I didn't know if it
would still be a flag then and then Tim said something about adding up
the bits of the objects and I hit a conceptual brick wall and went on to
think about other things and then you said you were doing this change
which made me think you will need to add new code to get_map_flags
anyway and you mentioned flying so I thought I should say something
about it...)so that if a area is blocked still returns P_blocked or
whatever and all that but if it is can_pass but the object does not have
the proper flag to pass then it returns P_blocked.

      The demonlord using, for example, 3 floors is a big big problem. In fact, it's

      the problem of standing it up from a ground position. And as far as i can

      remember, this was the biggest problem of ISO which concluded to *redraw all

      maps*

Well its easy enough to make an multipart arch that is two maps high,
just add 'z 1' instead of 'y 1' to the top part of the arch silly... :)

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com