[CF-Devel] multistage map

Sat Aug 9 02:09:54 CDT 2003

Le Samedi 09 Août 2003 04:59, Todd Mitchell a écrit :

      > > >GFXer to draw the cuttable wall.

      > > I get the hint - shut up and draw me some pictures...

      > never said that, just said my picture didn't show up everything cause my

      > lack of skills.

      I grew up without emoticons...  I believe that I missed putting the :P

      or whatever.

      > > Anyway I get the idea that the best way to do this would be using wall

      > > graphics that are taller than 32px would make this easier since single

      > > level walls would show the wall top while stacked walls would truncate

      > > the tops and continue on up.

      > That's the idea and that's what i tried to make (the right part of

      > screenshot i supposed to be trucated wall). However couldn't achieved

      > doing it correctly.

      > I'll take a look at how other games handles it....

      > >As a bonus you would have a little 3d effect when

      > > standing behind a wall (it would cover your knees sort of thing).

      > Difficult, since player and monsters are supposed to be drawn on top

      I have lobbied in the recent past to have an agreement that the extra

      height of an object overlap objects in the tile above it if the arch

      specifies it (what just paint these last or something?)  Like an object

      with a graphic that is 32x42 would overlap the tile above by 10 px.  I

      actually though this was going to happen somehow in the client with the

      smoothing code.  I think it is even more important to do this with the

      changes you are talking about here.

Well i had a dream this night...
In fact i wasn't sleeping cause of heat!
And i thought "well could simply fool the client in some way".
If i create an arch of 2x2 and i use for it a picture of about 2x3.5
the protocol will only send to client lower right corner.
I'll make some attemps with actual towers and so on to know if player can walk
behind towers....

      > > the meantime what about object height?  Will a demon lord's head be 5

      > > floors up?  This change you propose is a larger change than some might

      > > suspect I suspect - and waht about if you drop onto some floor type

      > > that currently blocked - like water?  You do need to consider blocking

      > > while you are at it you know...  lots of smoke and mirrors to work out.

      > Yeah was considering blocked problem too.

      I think it is agreed (talking to the upper management) that a bitmask

      like material is needed that indicates what objects can pass through the

      arch - like walking = 1, flying = 2, swiming = 8...  I think that the

      can_pass_thru flag maybe should be recycled for this.  I was playing

      aroung with leaving the blocking code alone but put in an additional

      check for this 'can_pass' field in get_map_flags(but I didn't know if it

      would still be a flag then and then Tim said something about adding up

      the bits of the objects and I hit a conceptual brick wall and went on to

      think about other things and then you said you were doing this change

      which made me think you will need to add new code to get_map_flags

      anyway and you mentioned flying so I thought I should say something

      about it...)so that if a area is blocked still returns P_blocked or

      whatever and all that but if it is can_pass but the object does not have

      the proper flag to pass then it returns P_blocked.

it's early in the morning and as i asid i didn't sleep a lot.
Give me some time to decrypt your sentences. :)

      > The demonlord using, for example, 3 floors is a big big problem. In fact,

      > it's the problem of standing it up from a ground position. And as far as

      > i can remember, this was the biggest problem of ISO which concluded to

      > *redraw all maps*

      Well its easy enough to make an multipart arch that is two maps high,

      just add 'z 1' instead of 'y 1' to the top part of the arch silly... :)

Not as easy. Cause the demonlord will use less squares on the ground, and so
can pass some places where he could pass before cause too high.
But making player behind towers is definitely a start point

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com