[CF-Devel] Features suggestions: 'mail' box & blackboard

Sat Aug 9 01:27:53 CDT 2003

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

      Hello.

      Here's a feature suggestion  to help trade/exchange items securely

      between players: some kind of mailbox.

      Each player gets one, only s/he can get the contents, but anyone can put

      things into.

      This way you can give securely an item to a player, even if s/he isn't

      around.

      I was thinking something like write down the player's name on something,

      then drop item you wanna transfer...

      Of course that would probably be some work to implement...

  It'd seem that a large amount of trust would be needed for that to work (am I
really going to drop off that item when I haven't received payment for it?)  But
I suppose some players could make use.

  Easiest way to do this with current code:  Have a space which only the target
player can get into (think old apartments).  Then have a space with a teleporter
that puts the object into that private space.  Player drops item on teleporter,
activates it, and item is now in target players private space.

  the problem here is that you then would run out of such spaces, unless there
is some form of key reclamation (eg, you can buy the key, but when you use it,
it disappears and goes back to being for sale again.  The cost could still be
nominal, but most players probably wouldn't buy it again unless they planned on
some trade.

  Thus, you could have things like 'drop the item of in cell 10' or whatever.

      And to complement that, something like a permanent blackboard where

      players could write things down, like 'seeking spellbook of something,

      paying 10k plat for it'.

      We could erase our own writings, but not others'

  This gets to be a more a problem - what happens if a player quits his
character, but still have writings?

  More so, how do you really know who wrote what?  And suppose some player
decides to post thousands of characters of garbage?

  More interesting would be able to write and post notes that slowly decompose
(eg, maybe last for a couple earth days before going away).  In this way,
unlikely you'd ever have an over abundance of notes, and probably less incentive
for abusive players to write tons of notes, knowing they will just disappear.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com