[CF-Devel] Re: [CF-Devel] Patch submission: item renaming

Sun Aug 10 13:42:45 CDT 2003

      To me, that seems pretty bad user interface.

      The client should make this easier. Eg, I control right click on object (or

      some other combo of unused mouseclick/keypress) to rename an object. The client

      can then send a command like 'rename ', and the server

      then looks for an object of object_tag in the players inventory to rename, and

      does so with new name.

Well i didn't want to mess with the client.... for a start i didn't yet try to compile it under win32, didn't even install gtk-dev as a matter of fact....

also we could imagine having both control-rightclick in client and the 'rename command (as far as i know, the only thing you can't do easily without the mouse is object locking/unlocking)
that would also mean doing a dialog box to ask for the new name

it's imo easier to first implement 'basic' rename with a simple interface, then add a custom client implementation like control-click. which would just use that rename function (like the apply works, right?)

      Also, your rename function is dangerous:

     <snip>

      since 'params' is user supplied data, very easy for the user to provide data

      that would cause buffer overruns.

true, didn't think about that. My mistake.
(on the other hand the client, at least gtk, too has buffer overruns issues sometimes... try to bind a key to a hundred 'use_skill praying' :-))

      You should really use new_draw_info_format. Then you don't even need to

      declare buf in that function.

Ha, copied some part of other code which still uses the new_draw_info....

      I disagree with that actually. It seems to me that if I rename something, I

      really consider that name important.

      If a player renames something and in ends up conflicting with other items,

      that is his problem. But If I call my haggises wine, then whever I use any

      string to options to adjust that item, if I use wine, it should match the

      haggises, which I've specifically renamed to be called that, and not a generic

      object.

      This is unlikely to come up, but it just doesn't seem right to me to treat an

      object the player has renamed as the lowest value in matching order.

I too agree that is unlikely to come up. But that case must be solved clearly, to not depend on item order in inventory.
So let's either give more precedence, or give less :-)
Guess that's something to be decided collectively