[CF-Devel] Re: [CF-Devel] Features suggestions: 'mail' box & blackboard

Sun Aug 10 14:18:50 CDT 2003

Le Dimanche 10 Août 2003 20:32,

     nicolas.weeger at laposte.net

      a écrit :

      > It'd seem that a large amount of trust would be needed for that to work

      > (am I really going to drop off that item when I haven't received payment

      > for it?) But I suppose some players could make use.

      Once you trust someone, having done some exchanges 'direct' exchanges, i

      guess you can do 'indirect' exchanges like what i suggest.... Also you

      could do something like 'i give half the money, you give item, then i give

      the rest of money... of course if it's valuable items in both cases, that

      may be more a trouble... or we could do something like: two players put

      items in special spaces, and can both reclaim'em when they want. only those

      2 players can access that space. Then both agree that the trade is ok (with

      delay if needed, ie not at the same time). When both have agreed, items are

      swapped, so the exchange is done. The key being that both agree, or no

      deal.

Have seen on other game a trade system, where player are both online, use
client interface to drag and drop items the want to exchange with the player
near him, you see what other player want to exchange. Then the player both
click on an agree button.
This would need server AND client changes (instead of just making some map)
but this would make things easier to use.
Simply add a command trade with <player> <items ids>
then server would tell other player
trade <player> <items>
perhaps several commands like that will be exchanged
as subject of trading vary.
then there could be a command like that
trade ok <items>
where player send list of item he accept to receive (to prevent other player
from removing them just after he agreed)
Both player's client send such trade ok command to mark their agreement.

and then players objects would be exchanged.
If players get away from each other, a trade cancel command could stop the
process (and close trading windows on client)

      > Easiest way to do this with current code: Have a space which only the

      > target player can get into (think old apartments). Then have a space with

      > a teleporter that puts the object into that private space. Player drops

      > item on teleporter, activates it, and item is now in target players

      > private space.

      I was thinking of something like that, yeah.

      > the problem here is that you then would run out of such spaces, unless

      > there is some form of key reclamation (eg, you can buy the key, but when

      > you use it, it disappears and goes back to being for sale again. The cost

      > could still be nominal, but most players probably wouldn't buy it again

      > unless they planned on some trade.

      unless all items get dropped/put on the same space, no?

      it's just a matter of sorting items, in that case :-)

      > This gets to be a more a problem - what happens if a player quits his

      > character, but still have writings?

      > More so, how do you really know who wrote what? And suppose some player

      > decides to post thousands of characters of garbage?

      Hum. Make in the code something to add automatically append the player's

      name to the note? that way we can't cheat. As for players quitting

      definitely the game (not using the char is another matter, since the player

      directory is still active i think, thus the player is technically still

      here). But maybe using that appended name to erase things?

      > More interesting would be able to write and post notes that slowly

      > decompose (eg, maybe last for a couple earth days before going away). In

      > this way, unlikely you'd ever have an over abundance of notes, and

      > probably less incentive for abusive players to write tons of notes,

      > knowing they will just disappear.

      That could be a nice implementation, indeed. It would make it necessary to

      rewrite notes many times as needed :-) Also maybe something like a cost for

      notes?

      Nicolas 'Ryo'

Ha! non, un français.
La belgique vous salue!