[CF-Devel] Re: [CF-Devel] Features suggestions: 'mail' box & blackboard

Mon Aug 11 01:56:46 CDT 2003

David Delbecq wrote:

      Have seen on other game a trade system, where player are both online, use

      client interface to drag and drop items the want to exchange with the player

      near him, you see what other player want to exchange. Then the player both

      click on an agree button.

      This would need server AND client changes (instead of just making some map)

      but this would make things easier to use.

      Simply add a command trade with <player> <items ids>

      then server would tell other player

      trade <player> <items>

      perhaps several commands like that will be exchanged

      as subject of trading vary.

      then there could be a command like that

      trade ok <items>

      where player send list of item he accept to receive (to prevent other player

      from removing them just after he agreed)

      Both player's client send such trade ok command to mark their agreement.

      and then players objects would be exchanged.

      If players get away from each other, a trade cancel command could stop the

      process (and close trading windows on client)

  trade window is obviously an interface issue - most of that code could be done
with minimal/no client changes, it'd just be clumsier to use.  But an interface
would be nice (I'm personally not crazy about popups myself, but one could
perhaps do this alternately as a tab in the drop window - a trade tab instead).

  It's really the server that would have to verify that the trade is agreed
upon.  So each time the player updates what he wants to trade, it sends it to
the server.

  Whenever that list of trade items changes, any 'trade ok' status is cleared.
Thus, for example, if I have a list of items I want to trade, and the other
player has a list I want to trade for and I hit 'ok', if the other user changes
that list at all (even for the positive), the 'ok' status I had disappears so I
need to hit OK again.

  I do recall that there is a map someone made which was a safe trade method.  A
little clumsier, but perhaps more realistic (realistically, if I'm trading
several items for several items, one can't hand over the items while at the same
instance taking the other ones for anything that takes more than one hand to hold).

  Also, the trade could would have to verify that the two players are adjacant.
  This, if one player moves away, the trade is also automatically cancelled.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com