[CF-Devel] Re: [CF-Devel] Re: [CF-Devel] Patch submission: item renaming

Tue Aug 12 00:54:57 CDT 2003

     nicolas.weeger at laposte.net

      wrote:

      I have no opposition to rename_tag command, quite the opposite.

      I think that's how apply/examine work both, no? Either the player clicks

      in list with mouse, and then the tag is used, or you can type 'examine

      ring of Thieves' and the name is used.

  Correct.  However, for those command, the issue is simpler - there is only one
object being activated in question.  Arguably, the rename command could work
similar, something like

rename 'chain mail' to 'my favorite armor'

  where the rename command looks for an item that matches 'chain mail'.  This
probably makes more sense.

  If your 100% keyboard prone, your using the text version of mark item which is
doing the same matching.  If your using the mouse, then some better interface
can be used (it can send the item tag for the object selected).

      True on that, shouldn't have mentioned client overflows...

      Btw, speaking of server overflows, i'm wondering about the inscription

      skill, if you couldn't use it to hack some things... i'll experiment

      someday, but right now i'm not at home, and thus don't have sources or

      such...

  Used to be bugs with that - they should all be fixed.

      Also are there characters that shouldn't be in custom names? (or in text

      you write in books/scrolls). Obviously things like line feed/line break

      shouldn't be allower, but are there other characters that should be

      removed for satefy concerns?

  for books/scrolls, code is checked to make sure there are no 'endmsg' values.
  Beyond that, most anything is ok.

  For object custom names, you should be sure that the new name is only
printable characters (no line feeds, newlines, etc).

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com