[CF-Devel] Artifact & subtype question (to know how to fix broken build patch...)

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Fri Dec 12 22:07:21 CST 2003

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

      Yesterday i showed my building patch to some players, and it worked

      fine... except i had to fix subtypes of items manually (i use'em to

      discriminate between some items: type 161 = building material, subtype 1

      = floor, and so on).

      Investigating the reason, it's because subtype is not part of what an

      artifact can give to an item (see common/treasure.c:add_abilities)

      My 'building tiles', in shops, generate items, with the correct

      artifacts, but since subtype isn't copied, it is wrong.

      So the question would be: is there a compelling reason why an artifact

      could not alter the archetype's subtype?

      The type obviously is archetype-depend, but what about the subtype?

      (btw, is subtype actually used somewhere?)

  Yes - there is compelling reason - subtype might very well be used in the
future as additional matching code.

  Also, changing subtypes may have bad effects down the road.

  subtypes are extensively used in the new spell code.  And I personally see
adding more objects to use type/subtype (really, all the stuff a player may
equipment should be of something like 'type equipment, subtype
shield/weapon/armor/helm/....'.

  Arguably, the artifact stuff could be done better (have some area which lists
what to match against, and another area which lists what to set).

  However, at some level, I'd just rather the artifact file disappear or
otherwise get completely redone.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com