[CF-Devel] Artifact & subtype question (to know how to fix broken build patch...)

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sat Dec 13 03:03:11 CST 2003

       Yes - there is compelling reason - subtype might very well be used in

      the future as additional matching code.

       Also, changing subtypes may have bad effects down the road.

       subtypes are extensively used in the new spell code.  And I personally

      see adding more objects to use type/subtype (really, all the stuff a

      player may equipment should be of something like 'type equipment,

      subtype shield/weapon/armor/helm/....'.

Hum, that's exactly how i use subtype in my building code: general material has
type 161, and subtype is used to discriminate between what you are building
(floor, wall, other items).

Also, from your comment I think I wasn't clear enough: the question is, rather,
would it be bad if an artifact could override the archetype's subtype (using the
'subtype' in artifact, as weight/title/stats can be overriden)? You just need to
NOT use this field for most items, and it'll make it easier for my building patch :)

Actually, problem occurs (in my building case) because I implemented different
'instances' of material using artifacts, not archetypes. I thought 'they all
share some fields, like type & stuff, so i'll make a global ''virtual''
archetype and different artifacts'.
Now of course I can reimplement using different archetypes for different
materials, instead of one archetype and different artifacts (would remove the
need for my treasure.c hack)

       Arguably, the artifact stuff could be done better (have some area which

      lists what to match against, and another area which lists what to set).

       However, at some level, I'd just rather the artifact file disappear or

      otherwise get completely redone.

Couldn't we use something like what is used for archetypes?
Add .art files that get collected by a script to make artifact file?

Nicolas 'Ryo'

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com