[CF-Devel] speculations about the floor (elevation)

Thu Jul 3 04:17:53 CDT 2003

On 03-Jul-03 Mark Wedel wrote:

        I unfortunately don't have a great solution to this.  I can see the

      difficulty

      of keeping the elevation current in the existing world maps.  OTOH, doing so

      would also seem to be one of the easiest solutions - mapmaker then has

      complete

      control over elevation of any particular space.

I actually have an idea.. but it would require work on the java editor end.

First, if at all possible, the java editor should retain elevation when
replacing squares on a map.  Just keep the old elevation, nothing fancy.

Second. the editor could possibly display the elevation in the square, like
have a tiny font "1000" in the upper corner of the square, so you can see at a
glance all the elevations.  I would assume one would want this to be toggleable.

Third, if the editor had a elevation mode, where it simply displayed a color
gradient for the various elevations, say slowly rising to 10k being white, it
would make it easy to flip to elevation mode, and see the grade of the land.

Now.. I say all this, knowing full well I can't implement it.. so AV, if you
think this is a good idea, I'd appreciate it, if not.. your call.

I know this won't fix all cases, but it should make dealing with elevation a
tad easier for most mapmakers, which I assume, use the java editor these days.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net

NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS