[CF-Devel] speculations about the floor (elevation)

Fri Jul 4 17:17:40 CDT 2003

Todd wrote:

      well not so much pain as entering a good value.  It isn't having the

      value that is the issue, it is having a good value.  I can't come up

      with enough good pseudo slopeing numbers for a 10x10 map.  Now if you

      want to do something in the editor, make a elevation fill command where

      you set the eleavtion for two points and it 'fills' in values on

      selected squares in between...  Even then it will be choppy and

      unnatural values, but better than some other methods.

It may be a little easier for some of those.  But extracting elevation from
the maps wouldn't be hard.  Ignoring data, no matter where it comes from, is
quite easy.  I'd think as far as the server is concerned, having it in the
object is simpler, because this now isn't a seperate file that needs to get
loaded.

One disadvantage of seperate files is a greater likelihood of it getting out
of date.  Eg, user modifies a map, even going so far as to update elevations,
but doesn't run the appropriate commands or whatever to cause that other file
to get updated information.  This is one reason I like the idea of keeping it
with the object/map - no such issues, and just seems simpler.

I guess one thing I'm still trying to understand is exactly what needs to be
done to fix this.  Preserving elevation doesn't seem to be the answer,
because big changes mean the objects elevations would change.

Perhaps a script that does the following, either:

1) Backfills elevation for spaces that have zero elevation.
2) Calculates elevation for spaces that have zero elevation.

Option #2 could be relatively primitive, eg, I have a line of spaces with zero
elevation - I'll take the two spaces to either side, average them, and then
adjust the elevation of this space by ±10% (or whatever), just so big fills
aren't perfectly smooth.

Maybe a third option that that fills in elevations based on expected elevations
of the arch, so that in the case of adding a bunch of high peaks, those get
filled in appropriately.  Although, at a some point, I wonder why dont' we jsut
add some default elevations to some of these objects in the archetypes.

The automated fills don't have to be perfect - and in fact, I think it would be
impossible to make it so that they are perfect.  Rather, make them good enough
to cover the big cases.  There will always be cases that come up which can't
easily be done by automation and still get good results.  In those cases, hand
updates should be done.

  Just as the existing world was computer generated, it is getting improved upon
by hand edits.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com