[CF-Devel] smoothing code.

Sat Jul 5 01:27:37 CDT 2003

On 04-Jul-03 Mark Wedel wrote:

        What is missing is the U (tile around 3 sides) and L (tiles along to

      adjacent

      edges).  Its unclear to me right now how those are handled with the current

      tiles - my only guess is that they are layered on top, but that certainly

      isn't

      as good as a properly drawn L or U (ore so because in the L and U, you

      probably

      want to curve in the corner more than for just a simple side).

Agreed.  I think part of the problem is that the smoothing tiles tchize
provided in the example images, just aren't that great to be honest.  It could
be that what we are seeing is simply that the poor quality of the smoothing
tiles make it look worse than it really is.  It's too regular and blocky..  I'd
want to see his code with some quality tiles before I really judged it.  I
agree that it won't look as good as properly done U corners.. but how hard
would it be to extend it to provide U's?

      Also I really want to get the layering sorted out.  I understood it that

      water was to be lowest level then we would work up such as :

      water -> sand (and desert), marsh, and cobbles (roads) -> grass and

      swamp -> trees (different types of forest) and hills ->mountain

      Where more tiles could be added to the appropriate 'layer' as they come

      on line.

IMHO this is the wrong order.

The road should be almost at the bottom, as everything should overgrow roads.
I say swamp just above road, because I would think that the swamp would
encroach.  Keeping the roads from looking blocky should be the most important.
Also, one could theoretically work inside each of these, for example,
transitions on the roads could lead to where the road goes from yellow to gray,
having an assortment of cobbles, fading the edge out.

Just looking at the weather right now.. here is what I would do, changes would
probably need to be made to this for the bigtrees too.  This is just off the
top of my head.. so some tweaking might be in order.

water
road
swamp
deep_swamp