[CF-Devel] smoothing code.

Sun Jul 6 03:59:05 CDT 2003

Le Dimanche 6 Juillet 2003 07:13, Mark Wedel a écrit :

      tchize wrote:

      > Le Vendredi 4 Juillet 2003 23:30, Mark Wedel a écrit :

      <snip>

      > divide you destination picture in 4

      > the uperleft part is made of the upertleft part the 'left I' case

      > the upperight part is made of the uperright part of the 'nothing' case

      > the bottomleft part is made of the bottomleft part of the 'O' case

      > the bottomright part is made of the bottomright part of the '=' case

      > This all limit needs for drawing to 8 pictures. I did this choice cause,

      > when you look at "Figure 4: Artifact Grassland Transitions" on gamedev,

      > you'll see most pictures share some parts. I didn't think about the

      > possibility, in L shaped case, people might want to convert to a straight

      > line. I wanted to save time from pictures drawers. However, thé 32

      > pictures case presented seems better. If the crossfire gfxers are ready

      > to do the 32 pictures for each transition, am ready to convert the code

      > to use the Cases shown in document.

        Note that it really isn't 32 more images.

        From the gamedev article

      (

      http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article934.asp

      ), the bottom 16

      images are already done (single corners).

        And 8 of the top 16 images are already there.  So that is really 8 images

      that woudl need to be added (4 L's and 4 U's).

Right

        Even if those aren't done immediately, I really think support for them

      should be added, as people are bound to want to draw such images at some

      point.

ok

        I also wonder if instead of having a bunch of seperate images for each

      tile if it would be easier to instead have 1 larger smoothing tile of a set

      layout, and the client just copies the bits over it needs.  This reduces

      overhead a little bit - presumably, if the client is going to need one

      smoothing tile for a terrain, it is likely  it will need all the combos.

still right. So will work with a 512x64 tile (32*16x32*2)

        The one problem I have with the existing graphics, is that they don't

      really have any curves.

Still right

      When I look at the examples you have on your web

      page, things don't look a lot smoother - the grass still has pretty much

      straight lines - they just spill over a little into the neighboring spaces.

        This may be a fault of the graphics - if you look at the gamedev article,

      it seems the simple cases of the straight lines which are not through lines

      (eg, one of your 001 cases) that the graphic has a more pronounced bow show

      to the overlapping terrain.  But that is just the typical matter of

      improving graphics.

Am not a drawer. The pics i provided were just example waiting for better
graphics. Howerver, i'll follow the way proposed by gamedev, exactly. This
will break the few client having my messed way of doing thing. But users
could still uncheck their smoothing selection box.
Lemme go to the code  now :P

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com