[CF-Devel] Re: Repeated line supression for the gtk client.

Thu Jul 31 00:02:37 CDT 2003

Sebastian Andersson wrote:

      After playing with the patch on another computer, I got hit by some bug

      in gtk, making the program crash while gtk was removing text from the

      info text widget. Both machines were running debian's libgtk1.2-1.2.10-11.

      Searching the net gives more examples of gtk crashing if one uses

      gtk_text_forward_delete while the widget is frozen.

      So this patch should probably not be applied to cvs yet, or

      the default value (want_config[CONFIG_REPEAT]) should be changed to 0.

  Yes - known bug, which is why 'trim info window', which tries to keep size of
that window to a reasonable size.

  However, a bigger level, I consider the patch superfluous.  The server already
does message collapsing.  There are many places where messages are not being
properly reduced, but that is a pretty trivial change to the server (just remove
the NDI_UNIQUE tag from the message).

But that code (draw_info) on the server should be cleaned up as I said in a
should instead pass a content flag (list, say, shout, etc), and the client could
then do things change font, use color based on player preference, etc.  Much
more flexible.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com