[CF-Devel] elevations (was Re: more proposals)

Thu Jun 19 12:34:35 CDT 2003

On 19-Jun-03 Andreas Vogl wrote:

      No matter what I do, preserving elevations is not going to work well.

      Imagine I replace a mountain range by a desert plane. When the

      elevations are backfilled they are dead wrong.

      Inserting random values doesn't seem much better in the long run,

      because in that case the values become totally meaningless.

True.. they won't be perfect.. but if you rip them out totally.. they will
default to 0, which is probably worse.. because if you change one tile from a
forest to a grassland, it will become elevation 0, while everything around it
is not, basically making a pit right in the middle.

Currently, we use scripts that just copy the old elevation to the new map.
Thats really all thats being asked for here, well, that and the ability to edit
the field.  The current script copies old elevation over, if the new one is not
set in the arch.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net