[CF-Devel] more proposals

Tue Jun 24 05:30:14 CDT 2003

I don't really want to spend much more time on python scripting, I just
want it to work so that at least the night club script will do what I need
it to do.  The IPO stuff was really just to play with as examples, but they
needed to be working, so I spent more time than I wanted.  I will likely
concentrate on my maps and weather code.

 --- Todd <

     temitchell at sympatico.ca

     > wrote:

      One thing right off, you shouldn't need to make your own mail class and

      mail storage system -  you can use the existing mail class or even sub

      class it for an alternate mail system (courier service, local mail?) but

      if we have many different scripts doing the same thing different ways it

      will likely become a problem (files everywhere).  The argument could be

      made that a scripting language shouldn't be able to create permenant

      files and this sort of thing (banking, mail file storage) should be done

      in the server code so we don't want to abuse it.  If shelf doesn't work

      on SUSE we should try to fix it instead of having a mail db file for IPO

      and then your mail system using a text file storage.  The same could be

I would love to get the python stuff working perfectly here, I didn't
really want to spend the time rewriting the IPO scripts.  My python
knowledge is non existant though, and it looked a much easier job to
rewrite for text files than fix shelf.

      you.  First off I would get the newer python directory out of CVS and

      see how it has been laid out.

After I can convince crossfire to compile the python plugin here, I will
grab the latest python stuff and see if shelf works now.  If it doesn't, I
will probably remove the PO and bank stuff from my maps and have the prince
keep all his money in huge piles in his apartment.

      Of course if you make yor own classes, try to make the classes as

      reusable/modular as possible.

I always try to.

      There are all the common 'modules' under Python  - then the more custom

      scipts in their own folders which call on them. Also you might update

      your IPO scripts as they have been changed to use the plugin directory

      finding code so there are no hardcoded paths (so they need no changes to

      work).

I haven't looked at my python stuff for a while, and I don't have it here,
but I seem to recall making that or a similar change.

      I am more of a virtual zen programmer - I seem to do less actual coding.

      ;) I do however think that does not make my thoughts on these things

      useless. I did think about this plugin stuff a lot though and have done

      some changes to make things tick better I think. I think that as the

      plython plugin gets used more it will be important to keep things neat

      in there and follow some similar guidelines like:

      all python scripts should break properly when the plugin isn't

      installed/running,

How do they get called if the plugin isn't working?

      code should be modular and reuseable (let's leverage those objects eh),

Always!

      no admin intervention should be required to install or use script stuff

      (use the pathfinding in the plugin...no special file/directory

      permissioin changes...)

I did notice that there would be a problem if two different sets of scripts
want to trigger from the same event, since you can only have one script per
event.  The example was I tried to have both the IPO and my version of PO
code, and they both needed to trigger from player life cycle events (born,
login, etc.).  I had to merge the two.

      changes to existing stuff shouldn't be done without a consenesus

That's why I basically forked cleanly, so that my version could live with
the old version.  I changed names and stuff to avoid conflicts.

Now that I am part of the group, I'll play nicely B-).

     http://mobile.yahoo.com.au

      - Yahoo! Mobile

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com