[CF-Devel] Python problems. Was: more proposals

Wed Jun 25 05:56:21 CDT 2003

 --- Todd Mitchell <

     temitchell at sympatico.ca

     > wrote:

      The shelf fix is likely something top do with the default database module

      being borked (I think bsddb?) and should be a all or nothing fix I am

      thinking (I can't remember and I am too lazy/busy at the moment to search

      through the mail archives here for when I sent messages about this issue

Damn, I'll have to leave this until Saturday week when I can get things
together enough.

      did you try running configure with

      the --with-includes=I/usr/include/python2.1 (or python2.2 or whatever

      your path is?)

Yep, and something similar for the lib directory.

      If there is a problem with the plugin and SUSE in particular

      it would be good to be able to post a fix for people.

If I wasn't siitng in the office answering long emails right now, I would
be at home trying to fix this B-).

      > How do they get called if the plugin isn't working?

      Exactly the right question and the answer as well -always ask that when

      making a new feature with a plugin.  You shouldn't have anything in your

      maps that is *required* functionality (like exits or parts of a quest)

      that will break if the plugin isn't loaded.  One way to do this is to

     lock

      out any Python necessary quests when the plugin is't working (use the

      plugin to open the doors rather than a normal exit or somesuch so people

      can't even get in).  The other way is not to use the plugin for important

      stuff, but as enhancements (so your bank clerk will just say 'I'm on a

      break come back later' if the plugin isn't installed.)  This works

     because

      python overides the trigger events so you can put in actions that will

      work different when ther is no python...

More inducement to get Python working, as the night club scripts are
important to night club patron survival.  I'll have to check that you can't
even get into the night club with no python running.  This is not that big
a deal, since as with every other building in the Ice castle, the walls are
see thru.  You can watch the NPCs dancing and gaze in wonder at the light
show, even if the door bitches won't let you in.

I'll make an effort this weekend, but I will be without 'net all weekend
B-(.

     http://mobile.yahoo.com.au

      - Yahoo! Mobile

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com