[CF-Devel] problems with darkness

Thu Mar 20 23:56:13 CST 2003

Preston Crow wrote:

      Turn off fog of war (if on) and report back.  Most likely, the client is

     storing this information in its fog of war - it stores what it last knew

     the space to look like, which includes monsters, spell effects, etc.  Fog

     of war is completely done on the client - for this reason, the server

     doesn't see any reason that the client needs updated info on those spaces.

      I'm also seeing fog of war problems.  In my case, it happens most often

      when I'm running quickly through visibility-obstructing squares.  What

      happens is that a copy of my character image is left on some of the

      squares.  My guess is that I'm moving fast enough that the server doesn't

      do a full update for every square that I move over.  (If it would help, I

      could try to see if this only happens when my movement rate is above some

      threshold.)  I've also seen a few cases where a monster image is left on

      the screen, though this is quite rare.

  I've not been able to reproduce it, and thus hard to fix.  The thing to really
see is where the data is wrong, eg, does the server have the wrong impression of
what a space looks like, or is it the client.

  Also, this bug seems pretty rare, so isn't all that high priority to fix.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com