[CF-Devel] problem with darkness pt.2

Thu Mar 20 23:51:46 CST 2003

Bernd Edler wrote:

      With switching to "per tile lighting" i got rid of

      these lighting artifacts.

      But the spell residues remain, with and without

      fog of war.

      They will appear exactly when i use spells that produce light,

      in squares that are completely dark.

      As you can see in the png the residue of the firebolt is exactly

      2 tiles long. It appeared in the 2 spaces of complete darkness.

      While the spell is "running" , i can see the bolt even in the

      dark tiles, because it produces light by itself.

      When the effect ends, the tiles become dark again. (of course)

      When i walk towards these tiles so that they are within my

      visual range again, i will have these residues there.

  This is odd - I'll have to look into it.

      Thus it looks to me as if this happens like that:

      "This space is now dark"

      "The spell effect is gone"

       -> I won't tell the client, he can't see that, because it is dark there.

      "This space is visible again" (because player moved)

      "You don't need any update information, this space still looks the same

      as it did before you moved"

  It could be something related to the darkness - I'll have to re-look at the
code.  There is some code that tries to be helpful to the client in trying to
inform if it is a dark space at the edge of the vision, or something completely
beyond the vision.  This was only really done to make per pixel lighting appear
better, but the complication it adds probably isn't worth it.  The way lighting
is handled could perhaps be re-done - the server would still need to know what
spaces the client can see, but leave more of the lighting to the client (eg,
light sources at x, y, color r, brightness b, etc.  Not sure the best way that
could be done.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com