[CF-Devel] python plugin

Sat Mar 29 11:05:49 CST 2003

Mark Wedel wrote:

      Bernd Edler wrote:

      I think that in the configure script

      line 13038:

      for dir in /usr{,local}/include/python{,2.2,2.1,2.0} ; do

      should rather be:

      for dir in /usr{,/local}/include/python{,2.2,2.1,2.0} ; do

      as i assume it wants to look rather in /usr/local than in /usrlocal .

      Yeah, apparantly I fixed that at one point, and somehow managed to

      unfix that.

Ya you fixed it before.

      On my local server the plugin seems to work stable.

      Is there a technical or a gameplay reason, it is not

      enabled on metalforge?

      I believe the plugin is in fact installed on metalforge. It's just by

      default, I don't think anything uses the plugin, and I haven't

      bothered to do bits to set up stuff to use it.

Prior to the path fixes to the plugin - it wasn't wise to include python
powered map stuff into the regular map sets, so there was just some
stuff you could set up manually from the unlinked folder. That was fixed
not too long ago by gros so there is no reason that carefully
constructed python powered stuff can't be included in the default
mapsets (meaning that they degrade well without the plugin either by not
allowing access to the area or by *properly* not working.)

I have worked over the IPO (Imperial Post Office) scripts so that they
could work by default (no admin intervention required) if anyone wanted
to put the IPO on the map so to speak - this is only for Bigworld, but
could be put into the Smallworld mapset too (I didn't in case it somehow
messed up mids server since I think he was using the IPO as it was, and
because I wanted to seperate the banking stuff from the mail stuff to
keep things clean and avoid clever monkeys.) Including the IPO wouldn't
break anything, but maybe it would be better to alter it so that you
couldn't enter unless the plugin was installed just to avoid any
confusion... I was also thinking to put a couple of slotmachines in
Goths tavern. The slots would degrade nicely anyway if there was no
plugin installed.

The python plugin is pretty stable as far as I can tell so long as you
don't do silly stuff which may not be stable in the crossfire code (like
remove objects that aren't there). It would be good to have some more
python powered stuff built since it would serve as an example of the
usefulness of the plugin (and provide example code to mapmakers) and
encourage more servers to run it.

This was a while ago so I may have to double check my facts and figures,
but everything I have said I believe to be true.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com