[CF-Devel] Alternate cobblestone/sign

Tue Mar 25 01:49:12 CST 2003

Oliver wrote:

      I made an alternate version of the cobblestones for use in town.  I made a

      version with/without visible dirt (I prefer the dirt grid version).  Also,

      screenshots of the existing as well as these alternates.

I don't know how much I really like those for the outdoor cobblestones - each
tile just seems a bit big for the outdoor scale.  OTOH, I think those would
probably look fine for indoor graphics for tiled floors and whatnot - while all
images are the same size, the perceived image of indoor stuff being smaller
scale than outdoor.

      Also, an updated sign to replace the black lines with a slightly more natural

      look.

  I guessed I never noticed that much.

      And another one: My original modified "sign" graphic had a drop-shadow, but

      alpha values in the Gtk client seem to be clamped.  Is this a bug or

      desirable?  What do people think of supporting alpha in the overlays?

      Technically problematic?

  If you use SDL graphics, true alpha support should be present.

  If using gtk graphics, then true alpha support is not present - you can have
transparent and opaque, and nothing in between.

  I don't expect this to change - the gtk code uses the drawing primitive that
gtk provides, and these don't allow for true alpha (this is probably because for
xwindows, those calls pretty directly translate to the x11 image drawing
functions, which don't support true alpha).

  So that said, I don't see there being much of a problem with making images
with true alpha qualities, but it shouldn't be presumed that the client will
display them properly.  Meaning basically, you could put in drop shadows or
other such bits, and verify that the image looks OK with non true alpha.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com