[CF-Devel] 64 bit experience values

Sat Mar 8 00:58:08 CST 2003

  I just recently checked in changes that support 64 bit experience values.
Thus pushes the max experience way beyond the 2.1 billion it was before.  It
also supports an arbitrary max level total, just by changing the exp_table file.

  A few notes on this:

  You'll need to re-run configure for it to pick up the new defines for 64 bit
types.  It currently tries to see if the long type is 64 bit, and long long is
64 bit, and uses whichever one is so.  it should generate a slew of error
messages if it didn't find an appropriate 64 bit type.

  You'll need to copy over/install an upated exp_table file.  The server no
longer has any built in defaults.  For new installations, this won't be an issue
as there is an exp_table distributed that does work.  However, the install
mechanism won't overwrite the exp_table file if it already exists.  As an aside,
I increased the max level for the three tables to 115.  These additional 5
levels double from each other (eg, level 115 is 32 times more than level 110) -
this should 'fix' the problem of players not being able to maximize their skills.

the client/server protocl needs to get updated to support 64 bit exp values.
However, this commit was a precursor to the split up of skills/expereience
categories, so when that is done, some mechanism to send all those values to the
client will have to get done anyways, and at that time, I'll fix that problem.
Note that until the characters experience needs those extra bits, the current
values display fine, so for most players, this shouldn't be an issue.  also,
things like that 'stats' and 'skills' command should display properly values in
all cases.

  The code that passes expereience to reward to the player is still limited to
32 bits - I'll need to update this, but this generally shouldn't be a problem -
there shouldn't be any need to give exp rewards more than 2 billion.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com