[CF-Devel] "cleaned-up" CFJavaEditor testversion

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Mar 30 17:49:31 CST 2003

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      I've now realized some of the discussed/requested things

      about the JavaEditor and uploaded a zipped version of

      the new setup to

      http://mids.student.utwente.nl/~avogl/CFJavaEditor/.

      (My old site is up again, thanks to mids)

      So, what I did is mainly changing the directory structure.

      It's now almost that what Michael Keuchen proposed except

      for the long package name:

      ------

      CFJavaEditor/

          CFJavaEditor.jar <- full archive (works alone too)

          lib/

              png.jar

          resource/

              conf/

                  ...     <- 4 resource files (types.txt, etc)

              HelpFiles/

              icons/

              system/

          src/

              cfeditor/

                  ...     <- all editor .java classes

      ------

      Besides, if any of the resource files is not available,

      the editor loads it from the jar archive if possible.

      That also means the jar can now run completely stand-alone,

      similar to the version Michael K. has created.

      In spite of all named prallels to the version of

      Michael Keuchen, there's quite a difference in the

      way of implementation.

      If this stuff seems to be working and there are no

      complaints I might put it on CVS.

      The downside of such a change is that all existing build

      scripts will become useless and have to be re-written.

      On the other hand, most of them were already outdated.

      It will also be harder for people with lesser java experience

      to compile and run the source with the new setup.

      I also want to note that now there is time for

      anyone to comment or complain about the directory tree

      as well as the entire thing.

      Once I have waited, tested and committed this stuff

      I will probably not like to change it right again.

  Looking over it, I don't see any real problems with all of that.

  Presumably, it would be a good time to update the build scripts since the old
ones won't work anymore.

any reason HelpFiles is capitalized when all the other directory names are lower
case?  that just seems a bit odd.

  Likewise, it makes a little more sense for the source to be in
src/cfjavaeditor  and not cfeditor, simply as the former more closely matches
the name everywhere else in the directory.  but thats a more minor point.