[CF-Devel] More Lore

Thu May 1 01:48:03 CDT 2003

  I still think it would be better to put it in the map header and not as
objects - just seems easier to do.  Indications are that AV is willing to update
the java editor to do this.

  Yes, there needs to be a minor amount of server changes to properly handle
this - but that is pretty minor.  I just think that having it in the map header
is the right place.

  To answer AV's question about why multiple lore/endlore areas are desired
within the map header: the probability of lore is relative to itself.  For
example, it may be 1% that any single lore list is chosen.  Thus, if you have 5
lore lists in the map header, there is a 5% (total) chance of one of those being
chosen.

  For most maps, this may not be much of an issue (one random area should be
enough).  But for some, perhaps like the cities, it may be desirable to have
several such entries - just to perhaps be more maintainable and to increase
likelihood of city stuff showing up.

  I'd also think to some extent what is within the lore field in the map header
be opaque, eg, the editor will load it/save it, but just treat it as text, and
let the user edit it in whatever fashion.  Thus, having a maplore/endmaplore
wouldn't really cost anything extra, and provides the extra flexiblity - maybe
most maps only have one lore/endlore structure, but probably easier to allow
that extra in case we do wnat to tie other stuff to it.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com