[CF-Devel] More Lore

Fri May 2 01:51:54 CDT 2003

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      How is this different than the lore coming in from the arches?  Remember if

      you put lore in an orc or in a magical putter you have to be careful not to

      cut and paste that to another map, (also it is still much easier to manage

      than connectors and the like).  Remember that lore is going to work it's way

      into the maps through the arches anyway. Putting it in the header only means

      you need two routines to collect it and a way to distinguish between the

      lore fields in the header.  That is the only benefit - that you need to

      collect it from two different places in two different ways.  I can't see it

      provides any extra flexability or functionality.  There was really not even

      a need to make a special map lore arch since you could just use an orc for

      the same purpose really, it just makes it easier to see if it has it's own

      icon.

  I'd personally say that changing the lore of objects within the map is not
allowed.  If you want to broadcast lore about an object, put it in the lore in
the map header.

  This fixes the problems you describe - you don't want to have to worry about
cut/paste and lore getting propogated all over the place.

  As for the format in the header - presumably, when we collect from the archs,
we turn something like :

arch orc
name orc
..
lore
endlore
end

into

lore orc
end

  In the lore file (or whatever it is called) - at some point in the collection
process, the object it describes has to be preserved and put into the lore file
itself.  There is no reason that that the stuff within the maplore/endmaplore
doesn't follow what ever format is put into that file.  So you may have
something like.

maplore
lore siegfried
endlore
lore jonas
endlore
endmaplore

  All that said, this discussion is taking a lot longer than it should.  And
that said, the person that has not submitted much code to making comments of
what is hard to do or not seems a bit presumptuous.  I don't mean to be rude in
that statement, but given all the time and effort exerted into this discussion,
I could probably have made the necessary server changes to support a
maplore/endmaplore field in the map header and written a collection script (as a
nice bonus, if you know the maplore will only be in the map header, collection
is also much faster, and thus more likely people will run it).

So that said, I'm putting me foot down here - the code will be implemented
within the following rules or not implemented at all.

1) Lore information for maps will be located in the map header and only in the
map header.

2) The format 'tags' for the map header will be 'maplore' and 'endmaplore' on a
line by themself.  All the intervening data will be copied as is into the target
lore file.

3) How the lore field is still open to some discussion, but it seems the format
will be:

lore
@chance x <location> <other keywords>
one or more lines of data of lore.
@chance y <location> <other keywords>
one or more lines of data of lore
@endlore

  It is allowable to only have one @chance field.  In that case, the actual
chance is pretty meaningless, but location or other keywords we decide can still
be useful.

In the case of lore in map headers, the first 'lore' line will instead contain
an object/field the categorizes this lore (hmm - maybe we should do this for the
arch as well, thus you could just group things as like 'lore armor' or 'lore
sword' or whatever else).

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com