[CF-Devel] Materials (was FW: DIAMONDS)

Fri May 2 22:18:20 CDT 2003

Tim Rightnour wrote:

      On 30-Apr-03 Mark Wedel wrote:

       Note that live action/human moderated games have the big advantage that a

     human does moderate them.

      Well..  Mostly my point was.. the people at TSR were smart enough to know if

      you let people change bronze -> gold, you'd have a mess on your hands.  Such a

      spell/ability/whatever is absurd. But is there anything wrong with changing

      iron to bronze?  I think transmutation is a fine thing, it's just that you have

      to be selective about what you let people transmute something into.

      Platinum->gold seems fine to me.. lead->gold seems absurd.  If we do it.. we

      have to think about the results of each transmutation, thats all.

  Well, most live RPG's also have a balanced economy (if the GM is good).
Crossfire doesn't even have that.

  And in fact, AD&Dv3 even has rules for how much money towns and villages would
have.  Thus, if you cleared out that cave and brought back 40 short swords, 18
chain mails, etc, the shop in the local village may only be wiling to buy a few
before they turn you away.

  I really don't want to get into an 'enconomy of crossfire' discussion again.
But if you thinkg of the raw number of items that players can get, then even
increasing the values by 10% can mean a signifcant difference for the players.

      I think it would be trivial to implement.  All you need is a little chart with

      some base values.  Say we take iron as the "base" material..  we say iron has a

      value and weight of 100.  Now we just set "pine" to say, 80, 80.  Now if you

      wanted to transmute mithril->oak you do:

      mithril->iron->pine->oak.

  Oh yeah, I agree.  I didn't think it would be that hard.  I was just noting
that that information is not currently contained anyplace.  And if such
transmutation are allowed, I'd have some percent chance (1% maybe) that the
transformation goes awry and the item destroyed.

  Why?  Because I otherwise think there may be issues of rounding errors, eg, I
transmute this way and due to the math, get a bonus that isn't taken away when
the reverse conversion is done.  Which means you do that 1000 times or something
and get a really nice item.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com