AW: [CF-Devel] code question

Tue May 13 13:25:51 CDT 2003

Preston Crow wrote:

     The message packing should only work for messages generated

     in the same round? So, its useful for older times where we

     have this massive hit messages per round.

     Any other usage i missed?

      What about "that item is too heavy" messages?  I've seen hundreds of them

      triggered when stepping on a huge pile.

      And what about success or failure in disarming traps?

  In quick summary, this is how it works:

  If NDI_UNIQUE is passed as one of the flags to the new_draw_info command, then
that message is sent directly to the client, and does not get hit by the
grouping logic.

There are two commands which control the logic otherwise - output-sync and
output-count.

  output-count is after how many messages of the same type get accumulated do we
send it to the client.  So if it is set to 10, after there have been 10 'you hit
orc messages', it will send them down the line (more useful for things like
pray, where you eventually want to see them).

  the output-sync determines the aging of messages.  If it is set to 10, then
once a message (or grouping of messages) has gotten 10 ticks old, it is sent
down the line.

  For the message grouping to be most useful, you need to group beyond just the
present tick, and that is what this does.  However, if you stop doing something
(like searching), you eventually want to see that '5 times you searched'
messages pop up.

  The only real 'flaw' in the current system is so much of the new_draw_info
stuff passes the NDI_UNIQUE flag when it really shouldn't.  There are places
where this is really desired (shop listings, spell listings, and many other
non-recurring areas).  But many actions, like using skills, attacks, etc, should
not pass this, and I think some still do.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com