[CF-Devel] RE: new red dragon image

Thu May 22 10:25:38 CDT 2003

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 04:51:22PM +0200, Andreas Vogl wrote:

      Tim Rightnour wrote:

      > That most decidedly, does not suck. The edges seem

      > a little sharp, but its the best dragon I've seen yet

      > for crossfire.

      Thanks. I'm happy that you like it so much. :-)

I like it too, although I think the wings are a bit too short.
Nevertheless, it's much better than the cartoonish red dragon image we
currently have.

[snip]

      Yes, we can convert it to different colors, but I would

      advise no to over-use the image. The red dragon alone is

      quite a popular monster which appears in many places.

I think the different images we have for different dragons are the way to
go. The new electric dragon, e.g., looks very nice; so does the chinese
dragon. And Todd(?)'s bone drake is a nicely done dragon image as well. I
wouldn't want to see the same image with different colors for these
dragons.

We *could* use it for the worthless dragon (Pupland), though. The current
neon-blue version of the cartoonish dragon image just looks hideously
ugly.

      While I understand the fascination of dragon-sets,

      we should also consider that Crossfire already has a

      quite unique line of dragons:

      Fire (= red), cold (=chinese), elec (= blue), wyverns,

      chaos wyverns, ancient dragons etc.

      Admittedly, our dragon line might not be perfectly

      intuitive or complete, but I still like it somehow.

Yeah, I like it too. :-)

It *would* be nice if we had at least one dragon type for each attacktype,
though. (Excepting maybe weaponmagic and godpower, which are special and
shouldn't be abused. Or ghosthit, which makes no sense for a dragon.) For
one thing, I'd like to see an acid dragon, and a separation of ice and
poison dragons.

      I think it would be cool to add arches and images for

      anchient dragons. Ancient dragons became a well-known

      part of the CF world, so they really deserve to have an

      arch IMO. Especially because they fit very well in our

      system: The normal dragons are often too weak for

      players in the high-end ranges.

I second this. We could take existing dragon images and touch them up a
little for the ancient dragons. E.g., change the color to be slightly
darker, maybe add more prominent claws or horns to make it more fearsome.

Having said that, I think the current chaos dragons should be touched up
as well... maybe have a multi-colored version of the dragon images.

Is there an easy way to re-create full-sized images from the arch tiles?
I can do some of these color fixes if I can work with the full image
instead of hacking every single tile.

      So, I've tried to modify the red dragon slightly

      and create an ancient dragon. It still looks very much

      alike, but the ancient version has a darker red and

      more claws. I've updated the page:

      http://mids.student.utwente.nl/~avogl/crossfire/red_dragon/

Hmm... some suggestions: maybe give the ancient dragon longer horns,
perhaps longer claws as well?

      > Would it scale down well for a baby?

      I've tried it. The size is a problem because the 96x64

      doesn't fit well into 64x32. Apart from that, the dragon

      looks quite adultish.

     [snip]

I thought the current baby dragons are 32x32 only?

"I suspect the best way to deal with procrastination is to put off the
procrastination itself until later. I've been meaning to try this, but
haven't gotten around to it yet. " -- swr

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com