[CF-Devel] RE: new red dragon image

Thu May 22 19:42:41 CDT 2003

On 22-May-03 H. S. Teoh wrote:

      The electric, chinese, and bone drakes are very nice images, even though

      they

      strike me as being in the wrong perspective.

      That depends on your perspective :-) I use the alternate set images, and

      they are in a perfectly fine perspective in that context (relative to the

      other alternate set monsters, that is).

Well, exactly, for the base set, they are dead wrong.

       I suppose I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of them though, as they

      aren't awful images.

      They are MUCH better than the old images we have. The old electric dragon

      frankly looks like a cuddly stuffed toy.

It's an interesting problem.  They are in the wrong perspective, but well
drawn, leading to a situation where it is hard to justify nuking them.

      I think part of the problem is that the procedure for adding new

      animations is not well documented. For example, I still have no idea how

      to convert some new images I have to a tile format that CF can use, nor

      how to associate it with an arch.

Well.. to trivialize it, what I did was just start cutting and pasting 32x32
chunks.  It's not easy to do.  I think there is another way, though I've never
tried it.  Supposedly we can use non-cut images.  Ask mark.

      I beg to differ... I think the problem is with bad map design, rather than

      lack of different creatures. There's no reason why orcs must always go

      with kobolds, and why goblins must always go with gnolls and ogres.

No.. thats not my point.  My point is that when I go to the map A, I fight orcs
and kobolds and dragons.  When I go to map b, I fight orcs and kobolds and
dragons.  There aren't many monsters to choose from when making maps.  And
there are even less to choose from when you remember that you have to stick to
a particular difficulty rating.  So when you are level N, trying to get to N+1,
you end up fighting the same damn thing over and over.  I'm not saying the maps
aren't perhaps poor as well, and your other points are probably correct.  I'm
saying that there are only a few monsters to choose from.  I don't care about
fighting 25 red dragons in a room.  I'm sick of seeing 25 maps all with red
dragons.

      The recent skeletal mage/skeleton captain additions are a good example of

      this. It's not that hard to produce more arches this way either; all you

      need is to take current images and add them slightly. Eg. skeletal mage is

      essentially a skeleton carrying a staff, and skeleton captain is

      essentially a skeleton wearing sword and shield.

Exactly my point.. It spices it up a little at least.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net

NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS