[CF-Devel] quest exp rewards (RE: monsters, ...)

Fri May 23 04:25:31 CDT 2003

Mark W. wrote:

      Some of this could perhaps be reduced by giving end of quest exp

      rewards - managing to kill everything and get to the end gives you

      a 100,000 exp bonus - many commercial games do this.

      However, I've yet to really see how to put this in with the

      skill system

I had a trivial implementation in mind for this.
There can be an object type like "experience_donator".
When a player steps on it or otherwise activates it, he
gets X points of experience in skill Y.
The donator object works only once (per map reset),
values for X and Y can be set as attributes in the object.

The effect of this system is that mapmakers can freely
decide what skill exp they award players with for solving their
quest: A quest for a lost scroll can reward literacy, a quest
for brewing a mystic potion can award alchemy, a quest
for killing the enemies of your god can award wisdom.

As long as the donators aren't badly misused I believe
it will work fine. It allows players to gain experience in any
kind of skill, including the exotic and hard-to-train ones like
literacy or mountaineering.
Note that the exp players get from quests would still
be only a portion of their total gain. So if someone really
wants to boost his magic skill for example, he still needs to
go out and kill things with magic.

The only real problem I see is that players might camp
around the donator objects waiting for map reset, but
that's the common problem for all kinds of treasure in CF.
How to avoid this is actually a totally seperate topic.
The ideal way IMO would be putting players to the StartX, StartY
coordinates after a map reset (StartX, StartY are defined
in the map header. If nothing is defined, let the player
stay where he is.). If using StartX, StartY is too uncertain,
we can define new flags for it in the map header and use those.

      (best I could think of right now would be it is

      based on relative portions of exp in each skill. [...]

I believe that approach would allow low level players to
advance more or less whatever skill they want.
High level players would be bound to what they have trained
before. Neither of that seems ideal to me.
Besides, there would be no difference wether you just solved
a mounteering quest, a wizard's quest or whatever.

AndreasV

--
+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more

     http://www.gmx.net