[CF-Devel] quest exp rewards (RE: monsters, ...)

Fri May 23 16:53:52 CDT 2003

Aaron Baugher wrote:

      Would it be possible to make the donator an item like a

      scroll that can be collected and used later?

Sorry, I'm afraid that is not an option. In crossfire
there are ways to abuse server crashes for item dublicaton.
Just imagine players piling up these donators in their
apartments... They really have to be non-pickable.

      That way a player wouldn't fight all the way to the bottom

      of a dungeon only to find that the big prize is useless to

      him because it's XP in a skill that he doesn't know.

Your argument is true, but I think there are several ways
to solve the problem.
Players who get an exp reward without knowing the skill could
get a very small chance (like 1%) to learn the skill instead.
If that doesn't seem fit, they could get a certain amount of money
dumped in their inventory, as "consolation prize".

Apart from that I think current quests are not any better
in regard to fairness actually:
"Here is your fire sword for solving the quest. What, you
don't need a fire sword? Who cares...".
Okay, at least you can sell a fire sword for a few bucks, but
then a consolation prize in the above case would do just as well.

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      Two problems with having a xp creator arch seem to be:

      a. if you hand out xp specifically for a skill and the

         player doesn't have the skill

      b. how to stop loitering around the creator

I have presented possible solutions for both of these.
However, I want to point out that named problems already apply
to most treasures and quests in some way, and have existed for
many years.
Of course the problems should be fixed, but I don't see them
as utlimate obstacles, or as reasons *not* to allow skill
exp rewards.

AndreasV

--
+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more