[CF-Devel] quest exp rewards (RE: monsters, ...)

Sun May 25 18:49:48 CDT 2003

Todd wrote:

      I think I said this... I am pretty sure that is what I was saying, I

      don't think I said dont't make a an xp giver object and I certainly

      never said let's *not* make xp awards...

      I did say that if you wanted to try this you could do it now... maybe I

      shouldn't say stuff like that.

  Sorry if I went a bit overboard - from your original message, I got the idea
that the exp rewarder should just be a plugin and nothing more.  Most likely
just a misunderstanding.

  That said, it seems to me the basic properties in an exp rewarder are:

1) amount of exp to reward the player.
2) Skill to award the exp to.
3) Flag to denote we should teach the player this skill if they don't have it
(this is potentially interesting in that this is now a way for objects to teach
skills).

4) Different ways to be activated (walk on/fly on, as well as it being activated
from something that 'pushes' it (aka, magic mouth, button, etc)).  In the case
of another object activating it, the player would still need to be on the space
the object is on.

  this last point actually makes party rewards potentially easier.  Eg, could
have something like 'put the sword in the pedestal, and everyone in the room
shall receive a proper reward'.  As a map maker, just cover every space in the
room with the exp rewarders, connected to the pedestal that looks for the sword.

5) perhaps use the the 'slaying' field to denote that if the player has an
object in their inventory with the same slaying field, they can't get a reward.
The harder point on this is there are two real cases we would want here:
1) Player can only get the reward once for the lifetime of the character (thus,
the marker object is permanent)
2) The marker object has some finite life.  How to denote that finite life
(ticks, real time, etc), is more difficult.  Perhaps only worry about 5.1 in the
object, and leave this point (5.2) to plugins.

  Anything that seems to be missing?  If you want to award exp to two different
skills, the simple solution is to just have two exp rewards.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com