[CF-Devel] spell casting times.

Mon May 26 02:49:53 CDT 2003

  Going into the spell code now, and found what I thought was one oddity, as
well as some other questions/thoughts.

  The oddity is that casting time for spells is in 'ticks' and not an absolute
time like most code.  Thus, if a spell has a time of 2, it will take 2 game
ticks whether the players speed is 1.0 or 0.1.  Most thing would say 'takes 2.0
speed.  If the players speed is 1.0, that is two game ticks.  If the players
speed is 0.1, that is 20 game ticks'

  I'm inclined to think that spell casting should fall into the later category -
eg, what the characters speed is will determine how quickly he can cast the next
spell.  The way it is now, your speed doesn't really make any difference, once
you get into position.

  The related questions I have on spell casting would be how long should using
spell like objects (scrolls, wands, rods, etc) take to use.  Should it be tied
to the spell they are casting, or some fixed time.  I sort of think it should
depend more on the item (no matter what, it can only take so long to drink a
potion for example).

  The last issue would be the general speed of casting - should it be altered?
My general inclination right now is that it seems too fast, and should be slowed
down a bit - exactly how much could be a matter of debate.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com