[CF-Devel] Client side improvements

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sun Nov 9 16:54:17 CST 2003

I usualy use the gtk client, but if the common client can be updated it would
be better in the long run.

As far as scipting languages are concerned, I think perl/python are overkill
for the client side.  Some simple if, else, while, for statements would be
nice. The 'if' statement should be able to check success.

if (apply health potion)
else
cast heal
endif

Probably the best way to automate the client that would be easy for everybody
to use would be a trigger mechanism.  So I can add a trigger that runs the
above script whenever my hitpoints fall below a certain point.  The interface
would be similar to setting up shortcut keys.

As for other improvements to the client,  a command history would be nice.  So
up and down arrow in the command window would cycle back and forth through
history.

Another nice feature to have (I'm not sure this is possible in the client)
would be a more mud like command language.  For instance take 'apply', and
create more specific commands (eat, drink, enter/go,wear, wield,read,etc).
They do the same exact thing as apply, but can only target certain item
types.  For example, a corpse is on the exit, I could use 'go' on the exit,
and I apply the exit instead of the corpse.  Currently, when I'm in a hurry
to leave a room, I sometimes eat a corpse.  Also some of the skills should
have a command (ie,disarm,hide,pick,steal, meditate, etc).

Just some ideas
Adam