[CF-Devel] Client side improvements

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sun Nov 9 17:34:26 CST 2003

I have a working scripting interface for the client.  It's mostly in the
common code, and I put in the necessary hooks in the client-specific
code.

It creates a new process for each script that you want to run, and sends
information to it on its stdin, and reads commands from its stdout.  The
script can send any command that you can manually send, it can request
information from the client (stored information, like map data), and it
can listen to commands that the client receives from the server (like hp
changes).

I've written a few scripts in Bash, such as one that invokes word of
recall whenever my hp drop to less than 50%, as well as a very long one
that cleans up my apartment.

When I last discussed this here, I didn't get a strong message as to
whether to check in my changes.  A scripting interface is clearly
something a number of players want, but it's also clearly something that
gives players an advantage.

Should I check it in?

--PC

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com